Hello fellow merms!
Today, I’m super excited because I am flying out to Edinburgh tonight! I wanted to share a few of my travel essentials that I will have with me on my carry on.
First of all, I love flying. I love airports. I seriously always get to the airport waaay too early just so I can hang out there. I love that it’s a place where you can’t leave – you pass people on their way out or their way in, and there’s nothing to do but to just be and wait for your next adventure.
I’ve always loved the process of packing my bag and making sure I have everything I may need. It seriously makes me so excited. Below, you will find a few of merm ley’s travel essentials for the flight and trip.
Mermaid Leya’s Travel Essentials
- Headphones – Nothing is worse than discovering you forgot your headphones on a flight and having to use the airport’s very cheap and usually poorly working headphones. One of the best parts about long flights is catching up on movies that I otherwise would not take the time to see. On my most recent trip to California, I finally watched When Harry Met Sally and I loved it so much! You are definitely gonna need a good pair of headphones to enjoy all that in-flight entertainment.
- Lavender Essential Oil – If i’m having trouble falling asleep on the plane, rubbing lavender oil on my temples and wrists usually helps me to relax faster and deeper. Also, since I’m going to a country I’ve never been, it’s super comforting to me to have lavender oil with me since it is such a familiar and delightful scent.
- A good book – I’m packing The Goddess Pose by Michelle Goldberg for something to do during the 7 hour flight! It’s a book I’ve had for at least a year and for some reason, I’ve never found the time to finish it. Between waiting in the airport and getting there, I will hopefully get to finishing it. It’s a really interesting book about Indra Devi – a Russian aristocrat who is credited for bringing Yoga to Hollywood and the west!
- Rose Quartz Crystal – Traveling can be difficult and anxiety inducing sometimes. I tend to get anxious about trips especially when I’m going alone, so I like to carry my rose quartz with me to hold near to my heart if I get anxious. It always calms me and reminds me that the world is full of love so there’s no need to be afraid.
- Tiger Balm – I basically can’t live without tiger balm. If you don’t know what it is, it’s a Chinese ointment muscle rub type thing. You rub it on aching muscles and it burns quite fiercely but I absolutely love the sensation. I already have a lot of neck and shoulder tension and flying can aggravate that, so I will be bringing this with me to apply generously throughout the flight!
- Cocokind MYMATCHA stick – These sticks by Cocokind Skincare are super popular in the insta/blogger world, and it is actually worth the hype. It’s kind of like a big chapstick and meant for “on the go” moisture made out of coconut oil and matcha to help relieve dry spots, reduce puffy eyes (which definitely happens while flying) and can be used as a chapstick. I love it because you can apply it anywhere on your face. I always get tiny patches of dry spots on my face, so it is totally perfect for that. It’s also super cooling and feels like you’re carrying around a little spa in your purse.
- Poetry Journal – Whenever I’m traveling, I get so inspired to write poetry and journal. Traveling is amazing because it opens your eyes and changes up your perspectives. I won’t go on any trip without a journal of some sort. I produce some of my greatest art and have the biggest revelations when I step outside my comfort zone and experience more of the world. Having a cute place to write it all down is one of my top essentials.
- Healthy Snacks – One of my biggest fears is being stuck on a long flight with nothing to eat. I always pack an emergency snack with me in case I can’t find anything to eat, everything is too expensive, or if I’m just starving and need something to hold me over. These Made Good bars are healthy, organic, and pretty delish.
- Anxiety Soother – I mentioned this herbal supplement the other day on my post about dealing with anxiety. Like I said earlier, my anxiety tends to spike a bit whenever I’m traveling, so having this with me makes all the difference. It soothes my nerves which is important when experiencing a different place, because you don’t want your anxiety to get in the way of you having a great time.
- Peppermint Halo by Saje Natural Wellness – This is a MUST for me. It’s an essential oil roller that smells soo good, and is meant for relieving headaches and stress. I tend to get dehydrated while flying and the combination of that plus not getting enough sleep, definitely gives me headaches. I roll this on wherever it hurts and it soothes the pain within seconds. It is super minty and burns slightly – just like the tiger balm, which is a sensation I love and crave. I recommend Saje Wellness to everyone – it’s my dream essential oil store, just a little on the pricey side.
- Passport – Finally, you can’t travel outside of the country without a passport. My dream is to one day see my passport filled with all the stamps of all the different countries I’ve visited. I’ve had this one for 5 years and Scotland will be my 8th country I visit. I’ve got a long way to go, but I’ll get there… one country at a time.
What kind of stuff do you like to have in your carry on? Am I the only one that gets so much JOY out of packing my bag for a trip?! Let a merm know.