I can’t stop thinking about the concept of joy. pleasure.
Since my last post on thinking about pleasure and privilege I want to write down an honest list about what brings me joy.
I find myself judging myself for some of the things that bring me joy. As if I’m not allowed to like something as basic as “getting iced coffee in the morning” even though I rarely drink coffee because it gives me anxiety & and I’m too affected by caffeine and it dehydrates me.
Thinking about the things that give me joy make me go into the existential rabbithole of “why does it give me joy” or “do I actually enjoy this or is society telling me I enjoy this”.
While acknowledging that these feelings will come up, I am gently pushing them to the side and going to honestly give a list of things that give me joy without fear of judgement from myself or from others.
I encourage you to try this on your own! Be as BASIC as you want.
- eating really good food at trendy/cute restaurants with a glass of wine
- fun “healthy” cocktails like vodka with lemon juice & ginger
- orange county
- getting iced coffee in the morning before work
- going to early yoga classes
- taking a walk on the beach
- going to new restaurants in new cities
- hanging out with my family
- having sex
- watching good theater
- listening to classical music while driving by the ocean
- going to a cute bookstore and perusing the shelves
- reading educational or smart books to feel #smart
- watching the bachelor
- scrolling on instagram and looking at travel photos/food photos/what my friends are up to
- getting gingerade kombucha
- getting chai lattes from cute coffee shops
- writing poetry
- suntanning at the beach
- the trader joe’s chocolate passport
- eating pizza in bed with my boyfriend
- eating take out sushi and thai iced tea while watching netflix with my loved ones
- being cuddled
- planning trips
- looking at flights to different places
- imagining & dreaming
- planners & writing down things after they’ve already happened
- checking things off a to do list
- being in the creative flow
- getting a lot done in a short amount of time
- happy hour with friends
- feeling good about myself & sweaty & sexy after a HIIT workout
- fabletics leggings
- pearl earrings
- the idea of things
- making a list of really good books to read
Part of my brain is honestly thinking okay, wow you’re a #basic white girl and are these things really coming from your highest self or are they all things that you like the IDEA of rather than what actually gives you joy?
While the little voice in my head is saying yes and YES, scanning over this list makes me feel happy.
and that’s okay.